First I want to give a huge thank you to the entire team for sticking with Sketch Up and working so well together. I was very nervous heading into this project and was concerned about how well a collaborative park filled with 5 very different sculptures would turn out. I must admit, that the final park far exceeded my expectations and I am so proud of every one's efforts and vision. Great job!
I knew immediately what my sculpture would be. I was determined to create a bear and her cub and was hoping to convey the struggles that wildlife faces as civilization encroaches into their territory. I wanted the bear to be large, imposing, defensive. I was thinking about how I would react if my territory and my family were being invaded. I had my vision and the next step was to make it a reality. It took about 5 seconds in Sketch Up to realize that I had no chance of creating a lifelike version of a bear so I researched various artists to find inspiration. Alexander Calder provided that inspiration for me. Calder is famous for creating mobiles and large metal structures called Stabiles. In particular his pieces, " Red Horse", Two Disks", and "The Lion" were just what I was looking for. I tried to create my work, "A Bear and Her Cub" in his style, but with my own twist to it.
Even though it was a lot of work and quite a challenge- seeing the park come together made it all worthwhile! I hope that everyone enjoys and I look forward to hearing your comments.
References:
http://www.calder.org/
http://www.artnet.com/artist/3485/alexander-calder.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Calder
http://godc.about.com/od/dctoursitineraries/ss/3day1_2.htm
http://wwar.com/masters/c/calder-alexander.html
Monday, October 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment